South Elgin Jan. 11, 2008 - Box Alarm Residential fire with fatality
This was a MABAS division 2, 2nd alarm box for 637 Kenilworth Dr.
(Taken from the Daily Herald) A 73-year-old man was killed early this morning in a fire in a duplex in South Elgin, while his wife escaped suffering only smoke inhalation.
The fire started in a two-unit ranch at 637 Kenilworth Ave. at about 3:47 a.m., neighbors said.
South Elgin Fire Chief Joe Cluchey said the man, whose identity was not immediately available, was on oxygen and several tanks exploded while crews fought the blaze.
"It's believed that the cause is accidental, but the exact source has yet to be determined," he said.
Cluchey said the fire started in the front room of the two-bedroom unit, which was a total loss. He said fire did not spread to the adjoining unit and it could be inhabitable again in a few days.
The duplex is on South Elgin's near west side in the Orchard View subdivision.
Neighbors said they were awakened by the sound of the couple's dog barking. The elderly woman called 9-1-1, but somehow her call did not go through. So she had neighbors call again.